In 1889, the British colony in Florence founded the Florence Golf Club, the first golfing association in Italy. The course was in the Cascine area of Florence itself and in 1905 the first Italian National Championship was held there. Immediately after WWI, the Golf Club transferred its premises to the area next to where the airport stands today, at Osmannoro. The idea of creating a new course began taking shape in the twenties and at the beginning of the thirties, Ugolino was founded on the Via Chiantigiana in 1933 and was designed by British architects Blandford and Gannon who had also designed the course at Monza near Milan. The course was par 69 but was considered difficult, owing to the ups and downs, the many trees and the small greens. In the sixties the course was turned into a par 72 by Piero Mancinelli. The clubhouse was built by Architect Gerardo Bosio who designed a structure fully functional and enjoyable to this day.